Convolution 2012 Writers’ Workshop
Every City has stories – some true, some fantastical. We are looking for your stories that tell tales of urban fantasy and science fiction. Convolution 2012 is offering its first Writers’ Workshop for new and accomplished writers. Pros and your fellow writers will critique your work.
This opportunity is for aspiring authors to have professional writers critique their work based on story structure, plot, style, and character development. The workshop takes place with a limited group – the writers who have submitted work and the three professionals who have critiqued the work. There will a moderator to make sure the group stays on task and on time. Please remember: this is not a competition or a bragging contest. Participants must be at least 18 years old, and able to accept criticism in a mature manner.
- Stories must be Science Fiction, Fantasy, Gothic, Horror, or have a fantastic element of some kind, in an urban setting.
- All submissions must be sent to no later than October 15th, 2012. Please note the change in date.
- Manuscript submissions can have up to 7,500 words. Manuscripts should conform to professional submissions standards. This means double spaced, with the header having your name, story name and page # starting on page 2. NO BLOCK FORMATTING!!!
- All submissions will receive a confirmation e-mail upon receipt of the manuscript. Do not assume your work has been received if you do not receive a response. If you have any questions or problems submitting your work contact Wanda Kurtcu at .
- Longer pieces or novels must include a summary with a writing sample (the beginning is preferred). The summary counts as part of the 7,500 words.
- Authors must be pre-registered Convolution 2012 members. Manuscripts must be accompanied by your Convolution 2012 membership number or payment of an attending membership. If your name is not the paying member, you must include the name of the paying member. If there is a problem with this, we will assist.
- If the piece of writing is a collaborative effort, then the team will be treated as "one author" and will be given the same total amount of time as an individual author. All members of the collaboration must have a Convolution 2012 membership to be present at the workshop.
- Your manuscript must be in either Adobe Acrobat PDF or Microsoft Word Compatibility Format (.doc). We will not be accepting hardcopies. This allows us to quickly email our professional writers, and saves us the cost of mailing the manuscripts. This makes the Workshop FREE OF COST!!
- We commit to finding panelists and panels for the first 15 manuscripts. After that, manuscripts go on a waiting list as we try to put together additional panels or find some way to accommodate the additional manuscripts. Manuscripts are first come, first served.