Here is where you will find the various policies and terms for attending Con-Volution. These policies are live documents, and we welcome constructive feedback. Our Executive team intends to have regular re-examinations of these policies as each convention progresses, to make sure that they stay relevant. Thank you to everyone who has already helped with this process.
Any behavior or action that causes excessive discomfort to other attendees, adversely impacts Con-Volution’s relationship with its guests, its venues, or the public, violates local law, or causes a significant disruption to convention operations is strictly forbidden, and may result in expulsion from the convention and/or permanent denial of membership to future Consanity events.
To help us ensure that everyone has the best possible time here at Con-Volution, we ask that you follow a few simple rules.
1. Share. Share the elevators, share the walkway, share the dance floor.
2. Ask permission to touch other people, or their stuff.
3. Be responsible for your own behavior. If someone says “No” or asks you to stop, respect their decision, and stop immediately.
4. If you are uncomfortable, speak up. It can be as simple as “That makes me uncomfortable. Please stop.” If you don’t feel able do so, find a convention staff member and we will help you get the message across.
5. Costumes are encouraged, but the common areas of the hotel are to be considered “rated PG”.
6. For your safety- no running on hotel property.
7. Also for your safety- no bare feet in the hotel’s public spaces.
8. At the request of hotel management, balloons may not be brought into the atrium.
Con-Volution is dedicated to providing a harassment-free convention experience for everyone.
Con-Volution defines harassment as “any behavior that intentionally annoys or alarms another person.” This includes, but is not limited to, offensive verbal comments, deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, harassing photography or recording, inappropriate physical contact, unwelcome sexual attention, and/or sustained disruption of convention events. Anyone asked to cease any harassing behavior is expected to comply immediately, regardless of the source of the request. Failure to comply may result in expulsion from the convention and/or permanent denial of membership to future Consanity events.
If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact a Con-Volution staff member immediately either by approaching them directly, or by contacting Convention Operations (located in Boardroom I). If you believe that there is a threat of immediate physical harm, please dial 911 or contact hotel security.
We at Con-Volution take accessibility seriously. Unfortunately, we can’t make the entire con barrier-free. We are limited by finances, volunteer staffing, and reality: sometimes the accommodation essential to one person (a helper animal, for example) is a barrier to another (those allergic to animals). Let us know, please, if you encounter difficulties or if you can offer suggestions or help. Please click on this link for more details.
Your Con-Volution membership badge serves several purposes:
- To identify those people who are members of Con-Volution
- To identify individual Con-Volution members to convention staff, hotel staff, and other attendees
- To provide a cool souvenir to take home (and to provide a place to hang ribbons)
In accordance with these goals, we ask that all members of Con-Volution wear their badge in a visible location when in convention space. Entrance to some Con-Volution 2016 events may be prohibited to individuals not displaying a Con-Volution badge. All badges remain the property of Con-Volution until after the convention is over. While we require that Con-Volution members’ legal names be on file with our Registration Department, we do allow members to choose what name or identifier they wish to display on their badge. Badges may not be shared, loaned, traded, or sold to other individuals. Please don’t lose your badge. If you DO lose your badge, we will ask you to purchase another one. This is the one instance in which we will refund the cost of the replacement if you find the original. In the event of a badge revocation for violation of Con-Volution Policies, there will be no refund.
- Con-Volution does not charge a fee for your use of a Promotional Table, but that free usage doesn’t include memberships to the convention. We require that only a single membership be purchased prior to setting up your promotional display/items – which member of your group gets registered is up to you. Additional memberships need be purchased for other members of your group only if they intend to enter the non-public areas of our convention.
- Out of respect for our vendors – who pay us for the use of their Marketplace tables – sales of goods and/or services are not allowed at Promotional Tables, with the following exceptions:
- Promotion of a charity and/or collecting donations for a registered 501(c)3 organization
- Advance sales of memberships to your upcoming event or club activity
- Logo merchandise specific to your group, or items made exclusively for and by your organization to promote your event
- Con-Volution does not charge a percentage of sales made at Promotional Tables.
- The location of your Promotional Table is at the discretion of the Business Services division of Con-Volution. Your request can indicate preferences – electricity, distance from the main entrance, etc. – but specific placement is not guaranteed. We will do our best to meet each request, and will provide you with confirmation of your Promotional Table reservation during the month prior to the event.
- If you are planning to use electricity in your promotional display, remember to bring your own cables and extension cords. Typically, at least one outlet is located behind or near Promotional Tables. Be aware, however, that you may not be located immediately adjacent to a power source.
- If you have not taken possession of your Promotional Table by 8PM on Friday of the convention, we reserve the right to reassign it to another interested group for the remainder of the weekend. If you’re unable to arrive by that time, please indicate this in your request, or communicate your E.T.A. to the Fan Table coordinator BEFORE 8PM on Friday of the convention.
- The registered guest(s) in each room are responsible for the actions of anyone in the room.
- Please observe quiet hours beginning at 11 PM each evening, keeping voices and sounds at a low level in corridors and inside guest rooms. Failure to observe a reasonable volume level, or repeated complaints, may result in eviction from the property.
- Behavior that results in an inconvenience to your neighbors may result in eviction from the property.
- Avoid disturbing your neighbors by remembering to quietly open and close your guest room doors.
- Before checking out of your room, please put any Hotel furniture and/or accessories that you may have moved back into its original position.
- All rooms must have a method of payment on file to cover incidental charges for services such as pay movies, outgoing phone calls and Internet service, unless the registered guest elects to have these services disabled.
- Duplicate guest room keys can only be issued to a guest registered in that room. Please note that valid photo ID will be required.
- The Hotel requires a $200 deposit for each party room.
- All party rooms are non-smoking. The Hotel may assess cleaning charges for any room that has been smoked in.
- Sales of goods or services from a Hotel room may result in eviction from the property.
- Sales of alcohol by anyone other than a Hotel employee will result in eviction from the property.
- Per State Law, alcohol may not be given to anyone under the age of 21. Failure to check ID, or providing alcohol to anyone under the age of 21, will result in immediate eviction from the property and/or notification of the local authorities.
- There are two ice machines on each guest floor. If you require a significant amount of ice, please contact the Hotel in advance, or arrange to purchase ice from an outside vendor.
Con-Volution is a public event. Members may be photographed, recorded, or filmed in any public or convention space. Specific Con-Volution events may ban photography, filming, and/or recording. Such restrictions will be announced on the Con-Volution website, in the Pocket Program, and/or at the specific convention event. If a staff member or attendee request that you refrain from recording/filming/photographing them, please respect their wishes.
Con-Volution itself reserves the right to record video, audio and images of convention programming over the course of the weekend, for use in future promotional efforts for subsequent events. Said video and sound will be neither sold nor used for any other purpose.
All membership fees are non-refundable. Registrations may be transferred to another party at no cost so long as Con-Volution is properly informed of the transfer. An unused membership may be applied to the following year’s event if the request for rollover is received at least 30 days in advance of the event. To request a transfer, please send a message to our Member Services department using the Contact Us page and select “Registration”. All requests must be received no later than 30 days prior to the event.
Con-Volution (and by extension, Consanity, Inc) gladly accepts personal checks for payment when presented with photo identification under the following conditions:
• All checks must made payable to Consanity, Inc.
• All checks must have a physical address (PO Box is not sufficient) – Individual, Business, and
• Con-Volution does not accept checks without a preprinted name and address (no counter checks /starter checks).
• Con-Volution does not accept checks with an expiration date (credit card account checks)
• Con-Volution does not accept checks for a purchase greater than $700.
Returned Check Policy
If a check is returned by your financial institution for any reason, a $25 charge will be assessed.
Con-Volution will not accept a check from anyone who has previously presented three checks that were returned for any reason.
Con-Volution will make a reasonable attempt to contact the writer of the check to arrange for another form of payment (in the case of payments made in advance, for Vendor’s tables, Gallery exhibition space, etc.). In the event of a returned check for an at-the-door purchase of convention membership, the check will be re-submitted to the financial institution as a second attempt at payment. If the check is returned a second time, the writer of the check will be contacted, and a credit card payment or certified check will be requested for the amount of the check, the cost of the bank processing fees, and the $25 charge.
In the above situation, if the writer of the check cannot be contacted, or payment cannot be arranged, the purchaser, and all names associated with the memberships purchased shall be denied the opportunity to write checks for any purpose to Con-Volution, and Consanity, Inc., and shall be required to conduct all future transactions via credit card or cash.
Con-Volution is committed to protecting the privacy of our members. We use the information that we collect on our website in the following ways:
We use the information you provide about yourself when placing an order only to complete that order. We do not share this information with outside parties except to the extent necessary to complete that order.
We use return email addresses to answer the email we receive. Such addresses are not shared with outside parties. If you would like to receive updates and information related to Con-Volution, you can register with our website. Information you submit on our website will not be used for this purpose unless you fill out the mailing list form. We do not sell or share our mailing lists, but may use them to provide information on other Consanity, Inc. events.
We use non-identifying and aggregate information to better design our website and to share with advertisers. For example, we may tell an advertiser that X number of individuals visited a certain area on our website, or that Y number of men and Z number of women filled out our registration form, but we would not disclose anything that could be used to identify those individuals.
Finally, we never use or share the personally identifiable information provided to us online in ways unrelated to the ones described above without also providing you an opportunity to opt-out or otherwise prohibit such unrelated uses.
We all know that conventions and cosplay go together like bullets and guns, and weapons can be a key part of many good costumes. Con-Volution encourages the creation of brilliant weapons props — we want to see them just as much as your friends do! Our venue is a public space and the safety of everybody is everyone’s responsibility, so please familiarize yourself with our weapons policy.
- No live firearms of any kind, including CCW. Unless you are law enforcement required to carry for duty reasons, please leave your guns at home.
- No DWAT guns or parts kits guns. If it looks like a real gun, we — and Hotel security in particular — will treat it as a real gun. Airsoft and other plastic models must be marked with a blaze orange barrel or plug according to California State law.
- Sci-fi guns must look like sci-fi guns. If there is any question, please mark them with an orange indicator or zip tie as mentioned for airsoft above. If you need a zip tie for “peace tying/bonding” they are available at Convention Operations, but we encourage you to bring your own.
- Bladed weapons must remain sheathed and peace tied. Bladed weapons of any kind may not be drawn in any public place at con unless pre-authorized by the convention (like sanctioned demonstrations or blade vendors)
- Do not brandish any weapon at any time. You may know it’s fake, we may know it’s fake, but it’s bad manners and it makes people jumpy. Don’t point guns, knives, swords, ninja stars or small tactical nukes at anybody (unless it is a photo op, everybody involved is consensual, and you are a SAFE distance from other con goers).
- Unsanctioned dueling of any kind is forbidden. No play fighting or “killer tag” games. Again, we don’t want you or the innocent getting hurt. To that, no swinging weapons of any kind in a public space (see brandishing above). It’s all fun and games until somebody loses an eye, then it’s New Caprica.
- No illegal weapons of any kind. California has fairly strict laws about various kinds of martial arts weapons, ballistic knives, and “decorative” blades. Please familiarize yourself with state law before bringing a live blade/bludgeon weapon of any kind to the con. Save that stuff for the Dojo.
- Don’t act like an idiot.
- Violation of any of the above guidelines may result in corrective action by Con-Volution or Hotel staff, potentially including revocation of your membership, removal from the premises, and/or involvement of local law enforcement.
Many conventions in the United States are banning weapons altogether, and we think that spoils the fun. We would rather that you obey our simple guidelines and have safe weekend. It’s a fairly liberal weapons policy, and we’d like to keep it that way; please don’t be careless and ruin it for everybody else. Let’s use common sense, err on the side of caution with our prop weapons, and make sure it stays fun.